Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

On Giving Up

I haven't always practiced the tradition of Lent.  When I was a kid, all my Catholic friends talked about it, and gave up things like chocolate or Atari, and I didn't really understand the point.  But then, I thought it was just a Catholic thing, and I didn't pay much attention.  It was only as an adult that I started to understand the concept of Lent, and it's only been for a few years that I've been practicing it myself.

Last year was pretty tragic, if you want to know the truth.  I jumped on the church staff bandwagon and decided to go with The Daniel Fast,.  While it was a great experience for many of my friends, I found myself focused more on food than ever before, leaving myself little time to focus on God.  My husband D. decided to do it with me, and he's a picky eater in some ways.  So while I could throw some refried beans in a whole wheat tortilla and eat that for lunch just about every day, I had a hard time finding enough non-meat protein for my meat-and-potatoes-loving, non-refried-bean-eating honey.  I couldn't figure out what to cook for dinner every night and it seemed like ALL I could think about.  Well, and then there's the whole thing about how it put me in the hospital.

Okay, okay.  It's entirely probable that The Daniel Fast didn't actually put me in the hospital.  That was actually the fault of my gallbladder and about 30 small gallstones that gave me gut-wrenching, cold-sweat-producing, I-can't-breathe-because-of-the-pain problems.  So really it was my gallbladder that put me in the hospital for a week and on the "nothing by mouth" diet for just as long.  It's just that my first gallbladder attacks happened to coincide with my self-proclaimed "end of The Daniel Fast", and now the two are forever connected in my brain.  So, right...no Daniel Fast for me this year.

I've been praying about what it will be for me this year...what God wants me to "give up" for Lent.  And while I don't have an answer quite yet, I do have a few ideas.  One idea that seems like a good thing for me is to give up listening to music of any kind while I'm in the car.  For me, this will be rough.  I like nothing better while I'm driving than to plug in my iPod and sing along to my music.  Some of it is secular music, but a lot of it is praise music as well, so it's not that the music itself is bad.  It's just that maybe for those six weeks, I will use that time differently.  Maybe I will use it to count my many blessings, or to pray for my family and my church and my leaders, or to think about my morning Bible reading.  Maybe giving up music in the car is an intentional way to enrich my prayer life. 

Every year, I also mention to my kids that we're coming up on the season of Lent, and I ask them if they're planning to give anything up for it.  I don't force it on them; they're all old enough to make their own decisions and make it part of their own faith.  They've done well in the past, giving up fast food or whatever.  None of them have made decisions yet as far as I know, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. 

What about you?  Do you practice Lent?  What does it look like for you this year?

1 comment:

  1. I have been participating in Lent for the past few years that we've been at Grace. The first year was really powerful, last year sucked and this year is kinda "so so" so far. I think it's a good discipline and I want to continue doing it from year to year to create space for God to do cool and different things in me. This year Andy and I are both eating vegan for lent. It has been challenging in some ways but not "hard enough" to draw me back to God over and over each day. Still glad to be participating with so many other believers though :)

    ReplyDelete