Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

On Dutch Pancakes

There is a restaurant nearby that is THE breakfast place for most of the people I know.  They serve many, many things I like, but one of my favorites is a fluffy, baked "pancake" thing.  A few years ago, I searched the internet for hours until I found a recipe for this favorite, and I had to try a couple of different things to make it "just right", but I finally did it. 

So tonight, D. is out of town again, or still, or something, and I'm in the mood for something easy to make for dinner.  I love making breakfast for dinner, but this doesn't even seem like breakfast...it seems more like dessert.  There is actually very little nutritional value, after all.  But it's one night, and my kids will live.  Besides, it's delicious!

Here's what you do:

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees (F).  In a mixing bowl, combine 4 eggs, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 cup all-purpose flour, and 1 cup of milk.  You may use a blender if you wish. 




Put 2 Tablespoons of butter in each of two pie plates.  Stick those in the oven to melt the butter.  Once it's melted, divide the batter you made evenly into the pie plates.  Do not mix! 






Bake for 15-20 minutes until the mixture rises and browns on the edges.  Serve immediately.



There are two ways I love to eat this.  One is to squeeze some fresh lemon slices all over it and sprinkle it with powdered sugar.

The other is to fill it with fresh strawberries and some whipped cream, which is how my kids are opting to eat it tonight.  (Told you it was dessert-ish!)

I can eat one pancake all by myself, and my younger kids are usually happy to split one.  The great thing is, it's very easy to double or even triple the recipe when needed.  These are also so easy but impressive if you decide to invite someone over for breakfast or brunch.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment