Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

On Tragedy

When I woke up this morning, I had a text from my best friend C. that told me to turn on the news.  I went to CNN and watched the coverage of last night's mass shooting at a movie theater in Colorado.  Insane.  Horrible.

And what it reminds me is this:  say what I need to say.  Hug my kids often.  Tell my friends how much I love them.  Say "I love you" before I hang up the phone when talking to my parents and sister.  Don't assume that my husband knows how much I love and appreciate him.  Say the things that need to be said.  We never know if we'll have tomorrow.

I should know this.  The death of my 42-year-old sister three years ago from breast cancer should have taught me that we need to take the opportunities we have to say what we feel.  And I have gotten better at this.  I am more likely to say "I love you" to my family and even my friends.  Before my sister died, I'm not sure I had ever told a friend that I loved them.  Why is it so hard to say?  The answer:  it's not.  You just say it.  Because we'll never know if we'll have the chance to say it again.

My prayers are with the family members of the victims and the suspect in Colorado.  What a tragedy.

1 comment: